For quite a while I have been searching for a good Multigrain Bread Recipe. Then I stumbled upon a recipe for Oat Bread from my friend Melissa. The Oat Bread is amazing on it’s own, but I wanted a recipe for multigrain bread as well. After trying several different recipes for multigrain bread and not liking what I made, I tweaked hers a bit to make it have a bit of crunch. Now I make both the oat bread and the multigrain bread. I do love kneading bread, there’s something very therapeutic about it, and there’s nothing better than homemade bread with your eggs in the morning.
1 Tbs. active dry yeast
1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbs. Oil
2 Tbs. flax seed meal or ground flax seeds
1/4 cup harvest grains blend**
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups all purpose flour
1. Mix yeast and sugar with water and let sit several minutes.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients in order listed
3. Knead, adding flour as needed
4. Place in oiled bowl, cover and let rise one hour, or until doubled
5. Punch down, shape into loaf and place in oiled bread pan, covered
6. Let rise 1/2 hour, or until doubled, while your oven preheats to 425
7. Bake 25 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when gently tapped
I usually double this recipe, because it’s so good. It freezes well too.