I’m not a fan of traditional cole slaw. That’s putting it nicely, in all actuality I HATE cole slaw. And I really don’t use the “H” word for very many foods. But crunchy slaw is decidedly NOT traditional slaw. It’s more like a salad with a bit of crunch. It’s a perfect dish to take along to a picnic or a potluck. You can prep it the day before, then mix it all up the day of your event. It’s super easy to make (you know I love recipes that are EASY). My recipe was made using my Aunt Patti’s recipe & my cousin Kathy’s recipe…I took what I liked from each of theirs and made my own creation, quite similar to theirs. I hope you enjoy it!
Crunchy Slaw ::
1 (3 oz) package Chicken Flavor Ramen Noodles
1/3 cup Peanut Oil
3 Tbs. Rice Wine Vinegar (or just Rice Vinegar or I know someone who uses cider vinegar & vegetable oil instead of peanut oil & rice wine vinegar)
2 Tbs. Sugar
1 bag cole slaw mix (found by bagged salads in produce section)
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 cup dry roasted peanuts
1 cup sunflower seeds (no shell!)
1. Open Ramen Noodles & Set aside seasoning packet
2. Break noodles into small pieces, place in shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for FIVE MINUTES or until golden….keep a close eye on them or they will burn. Stir once while cooking. Set aside and let cool
This is what the noodles should look like when they are toasted:
3. Combine Ramen seasoning packet, oil, vinegar and sugar in a jar and shake until mixed – cover and chill
I prep all of my ingredients ahead of time because I’m usually preparing this for an event the following day. I put the nuts/sunflowers in one baggie, then the green onions in one, & the toasted Ramen noodles in another. And I put the dressing in my salad dressing jar or a mason jar. Now I have all of the ingredients prepared and ready to go!
4. Just before serving combine: cole slaw, dressing, nuts, sunflower seeds and green onions. Stir Well.
5. Top with toasted noodles.
I do steps 1-3 the night before, and then it only takes a minute to put together the day of the event.
The Finished Product: